Re: guile 3 update, september edition

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile 3 update, september edition
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:35:39 +0200

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> This is an update on progress towards Guile 3.  In our last update, we
> saw the first bits of generated code:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2018-08/msg00005.html
>
> Since then, the JIT is now feature-complete.  It can JIT-compile *all*
> code in Guile, including delimited continuations, dynamic-wind, all
> that.  It runs automatically, in response to a function being called a
> lot.  It can also tier up from within hot loops.

Woohoo!  It’s awesome that JIT can already handle all Guile code and run
all the test suite.  To me that means it can be merged into ‘master’.

> The threshold at which Guile will automatically JIT-compile is set from
> the GUILE_JIT_THRESHOLD environment variable.  By default it is 50000.
> If you set it to -1, you disable the JIT.  If you set it to 0, *all*
> code will be JIT-compiled.  The test suite passes at
> GUILE_JIT_THRESHOLD=0, indicating that all features in Guile are
> supported by the JIT.  Set the GUILE_JIT_LOG environment variable to 1
> or 2 to see JIT progress.

Just to be clear, does GUILE_JIT_THRESHOLD represents the number of
times a given instruction pointer is hit?

> For debugging (single-stepping, tracing, breakpoints), Guile will fall
> back to the bytecode interpreter (the VM), for the thread that has
> debugging enabled.  Once debugging is no longer enabled (no more hooks
> active), that thread can return to JIT-compiled code.

Cool.

> Using GNU Lightning has been useful but in the long term I don't think
> it's the library that we need, for a few reasons:

[...]

It might be that the lightning 1.x branch would be a better fit (it was
exactly as you describe.)  I think that’s what Racket was (is?) using.

> Meaning that "eval" in Guile 3 is somewhere around 80% faster than in
> Guile 2.2 -- because "eval" is now JIT-compiled.

Very cool.

> Incidentally, as a comparison, Guile 2.0 (whose "eval" is slower for
> various reasons) takes 70s real time for the same benchmark.  Guile 1.8,
> whose eval was written in C, takes 4.536 seconds real time.  It's still
> a little faster than Guile 3's eval-in-Scheme, but it's close and we're
> catching up :)

It’s an insightful comparison; soon we can say it’s “as fast as
hand-optimized C” (and more readable, too :-)).

> I have also tested with ecraven's r7rs-benchmarks and we make a nice
> jump past the 2.2 results; but not yet at Racket or Chez levels yet.  I
> think we need to tighten up our emitted code.  There's another 2x of
> performance that we should be able to get with incremental improvements.
> For the last bit we will need global register allocation though, I
> think.

Looking forward to reading ecraven’s updated benchmark results.

Thank you for the awesomeness!

Ludo’.