FOSDEM 2019 - dev-room proposal

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: FOSDEM 2019 - dev-room proposal
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 19:27:08 +0200

Copy from the Guix mailing list.

----- Forwarded message from Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> -----

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:23:19 +0200
From: Pjotr Prins <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

* Minimalistic Languages

Every year FOSDEM allows for dev-rooms that need to appeal to a wider
audience and do not overlap with other dev-rooms. Programming
languages are popular and some of the large languages get their own,
such as Python and Rust. See the devrooms section on

  https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/

Manolis and I want to submit a plan for 'Minimalistic Languages - for
big ideas' dev-room.  Good examples that fit the room are

- mes and reproducible builds
- Guile and Guix
- Guile JIT
- Lua JIT
- Lua for scriptable projects (example?)

Anyone anything to add to this list? More ideas is better.

Other languages that could fit are Forth, Smalltalk, Tcl, Rebol.
Provided they have a big idea.

Note that JVM languages and languages that compile to Javascript do
not fit the room. They probably have their own dev-rooms anyway.
Haskell and other Lisps may fit too (if they don't get their own
room). We think with enough good projects our dev-room will be of
interest.

Pj & Manolis

----- End forwarded message -----