Re: c99 support

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: c99 support
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 22:07:24 +0200

On Sat 23 Jun 2018 21:23, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 21:11:29 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Is there anyone who compiles Guile with a compiler that does not support
>> C99?  If so, please give platform and compiler.
>
> You mean C99 compiler or C99 C run-time library?  Or both?
>
> MS-Windows (MinGW) doesn't have a C99 compliant C library, although
> quite a few of what's needed is present.

Hard to say :)  I think my questions are limited to, in decreasing order
of importance:

  * Is there any system that we target that doesn't have C99 stdint.h
    and stddef.h ?

  * Is there any system that we target that doesn't support C99 inline
    functions?

  * C99 mixed decls and statements?

  * C99 one-line comments (// foo) ?

  * C99 compound literals? ((struct x) { 1, 2 }) ?

  * stdbool.h

I want to use C99 inside Guile, and I want to eventually replace
scm_t_uint8 with uint8_t.

I assume MinGW uses GCC.  What version?  I see that the version 6 series
is available on mingw.org.

Andy