Re: source and compiled file installtion locations

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: source and compiled file installtion locations
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 09:56:55 +0100

On Sat, 5 May 2018 21:03:14 -0300
David Pirotte <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Guilers,
>
> > 1-  no --use-guile-site
> >
> > in this case, imo, locations should be
> >
> >     $(datarootdir)/<project-name>   [ source
>
> FWIW,
>
> This is what guile-gnome does, and it also does it in $(libdir),
> $(includedir) ...,
>
> It does it using guile-gnome API version, not guile effective version, which
> I also
> think 'projects' should do, so currently, guile-gnome pure scheme modules land
> in:
>
>       $(datarootdir)/guile-gnome-2
>
>       [ except for the doc, installed in
>       [       $(docdor)/guile-gnome-platform/
>
> The only module that guile-gnome installs in $(datarootdir)/guile/site (and
> not
> $(datarootdir)/guile/site/GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION as I also claim we should
> not do
> this) is gnome-2, a module that users import to 'inform' guile of source, lib
> locations (which they also can do sing the guile-gnome-2 script ...)

Instead of using the project's $(libdir), $(datarootdir), and so forth,
I use pkgconfig to interogate guile-2.2.pc or guile-2.0.pc, and install
source (.scm) files in its revealed 'sitedir' and compiled (.go) files
in its revealed 'siteccachedir', with the base project module name
added to the path in each case.  That way, even if the project
(including any of its shared library files) are installed in, say,
the /usr/local prefix, the scheme files are installed in the correct
prefix for guile.

That is presumably why 'sitedir' and 'siteccachedir' are exposed by
pkgconfig.

Chris