Re: German translation of R5RS

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: German translation of R5RS
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 20:49:24 +0200

Hello,

I’ve found answers to most of my own questions and will resend r5rs.de
this week with corrections.

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 08:48:19PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> What should I use as the translated Texinfo file’s dircategory and
> direntry?  Currently it is
>
> @dircategory Die Algorithmische Sprache Scheme
> @direntry
> * R5RS-de: (r5rs.de).                 Der Revised(5) Report on Scheme
> (deutsch).
>
> so M-x info shows the German R5RS in its own category:
>
> Die Algorithmische Sprache Scheme
> * R5RS-de: (r5rs.de).           Der Revised(5) Report on Scheme (deutsch).
>

> but maybe it should be organized differently.  I suppose translated
> info manuals would be installed for everyone regardless of their
> locale preferences?

Only this question remains.

> What do you think about the rationale guiding the translation:
>
> https://pelzflorian.de/git/guile-wip-pf/tree/doc/translation-rationale-de?h=wip-r5rsde&id=08bd475064c7b4874489455693775ba041d01290

A friend brought me a library’s copy of Susanne Daniels-Herold’s
German translation of Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs.  I will compare the terms it uses to my translation.
(I wonder if the German SICP is available freely licensed and online
like the English edition, but apparently not.)

> My use of the traditional generic “masculine” form for plural
> (“researchers → Forscher” instead of the more cumbersome “Forscher und
> Forscherinnen” or “ForscherInnen” or “Forschende”) is controversial
> and so are the alternatives.  Forschende would work but sounds more
> artificial.  Is there some GNU standard?

I did a survey with twenty-two people sitting in front of my
university’s cafeteria.  I knew none of them.  The majority (68%, 10
men and 5 women) prefers “Forschende” over “Forscher” (which is
preferred by 22%, 2 men and 3 women, additionally 2 men were
undecided) so I’ll change it to “Forschende”.  (I got similar results
from my own personal umfeld, i.e. friends, acquaintances, family.)

Regards,
Florian