German translation of R5RS

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: German translation of R5RS
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 20:48:19 +0200

Hello Guilers,

I made a translation of R5RS to German and hope that you can accept it
into Guile proper.

You can view the PDF at

https://pelzflorian.de/files/r5rs.de.pdf

You can download the patches (for “git am 0001-…”) at

https://pelzflorian.de/files/wip-r5rsde-patches.tar.gz

or view the changes at

https://pelzflorian.de/git/guile-wip-pf/

I can e-mail the patches, but maybe 0.3MB is too big for the mailing
list.

I have some questions though:

What should I use as the translated Texinfo file’s dircategory and
direntry?  Currently it is

@dircategory Die Algorithmische Sprache Scheme
@direntry
* R5RS-de: (r5rs.de).                 Der Revised(5) Report on Scheme (deutsch).

so M-x info shows the German R5RS in its own category:

Die Algorithmische Sprache Scheme
* R5RS-de: (r5rs.de).           Der Revised(5) Report on Scheme (deutsch).

but maybe it should be organized differently.  I suppose translated
info manuals would be installed for everyone regardless of their
locale preferences?

What do you think about the rationale guiding the translation:

https://pelzflorian.de/git/guile-wip-pf/tree/doc/translation-rationale-de?h=wip-r5rsde&id=08bd475064c7b4874489455693775ba041d01290

My use of the traditional generic “masculine” form for plural
(“researchers → Forscher” instead of the more cumbersome “Forscher und
Forscherinnen” or “ForscherInnen” or “Forschende”) is controversial
and so are the alternatives.  Forschende would work but sounds more
artificial.  Is there some GNU standard?  For singular forms (“user”)
I used the female translation (“Nutzerin”) instead of grammatically
male “Nutzer”.

In the future I want to help translate the rest of the Guile manual
for which I will take another look at Julien Lepiller’s work on Guix’
po4a integration (but first I will look at my Haunt patches again).  I
will not look at Meson support for Guile until I know more about
Guile.

By the way, finding out how to compile guile from my git repository
took long on GuixSD until I found guile-for-guile-emacs.  I am really
looking forward to some kind of channel support with separate *-git
packages like on Arch’s user repository (without substitutes).

Regards,
Florian