Re: GC Warning related to large mem block allocation - Help needed

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: GC Warning related to large mem block allocation - Help needed
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 21:38:26 -0200

Hi Mike,

> If all you are doing is trying to get Guile not to issue warnings about big
> allocations, I think all you need to do is put -DGC_IGNORE_WARN in the
> CFLAGS when you build Guile.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it does not work. If I trust guile (gcc) to use
an
exported CFLAGS env variable:

        export CFLAGS="-O3 -DGC_IGNORE_WARN"
        [ which is properly listed in the config.log after configure...

and if this flag is 'correct', it appeared to work at first glance:

        scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (srfi srfi-4)
        scheme@(guile-user)>  (for-each (lambda (i) (make-f32vector 100000000))
(iota 100))
        [ no warnings here

but a more expensive task triggers these warnings still

scheme@(guile-user)> ,time (quasep caso-9 '1mm)
 init...  GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size
775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
kernels... GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size
775237632):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
small pellets... GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr.
size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
grip layer... GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size
775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
micro pellets... GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr.
size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
gripped kernels... GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr.
size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr. size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
none gripped kernels... GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block
(appr. size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.
quase particles... GC Warning: Repeated allocation of very large block (appr.
size 775012352):
        May lead to memory leak and poor performance.

$1 = ((13755 14086 3 (#f32(255.0 255.0 255.0 255.0 255.0 255.0 255.0 # # ...)
;; 300.318682s real time, 369.596406s run time.  5.252115s spent in GC.