Version 2.2.3 tests fail on Debian i386 and ppc64el hosts

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Version 2.2.3 tests fail on Debian i386 and ppc64el hosts
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 15:03:51 -0600

I've been trying to get Guile 2.2 to build and pass the tests on all of
the Debian architectures again, and at this point, the release[1]
architectures are OK except i386 and ppc64el (and armel, which is still
building...).

Initially amd64 was failing in test-out-of-memory, but changing
-fstack-protector-strong to -fno-stack-protector seemed to fix it.

However, that test is dying in the same way on ppc64el:

  GC Warning: Failed to expand heap by 8388608 bytes
  GC Warning: Failed to expand heap by 8388608 bytes
  GC Warning: Failed to expand heap by 65536 bytes
  GC Warning: Out of Memory! Heap size: 27 MiB. Returning NULL!
  GC Warning: Failed to expand heap by 8388608 bytes
  GC Warning: Failed to expand heap by 65536 bytes
  GC Warning: Out of Memory! Heap size: 27 MiB. Returning NULL!
  Warning: Unwind-only `out-of-memory' exception; skipping pre-unwind handler.
  FAIL: test-out-of-memory
  ==================================
  1 of 39 tests failed
  Please report to address@hidden
  ==================================
  Makefile:2630: recipe for target 'check-TESTS' failed

Preliminary investigation suggests that test-out-of-memory makes it past
the first two tests, and dies on:

  (test (lambda ()
          ;; This one is the kicker -- we allocate pairs until the heap
          ;; can't expand.  This is the hardest test to deal with because
          ;; the error-handling machinery has no memory in which to work.
          (iota #e1e8)))

The i386 build has a different problem, it never finishes sandbox.test,
hanging here at 100+% CPU:

  Running rnrs-libraries.test
  Running rtl-compilation.test
  Running rtl.test
  Running sandbox.test

I thought I'd bring this up in case either is something you've seen
before.  In addition, I can reproduce both failures on Debian
porterboxes, and would be happy to help if I can.

(And of course, if it made sense, we could also mark a test as unresolved for
 the moment.)

cf.
  https://bugs.gnu.org/29464
  https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=guile-2.2&suite=sid

[1] The release architectures are the unshaded ones on the buildd page.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org