Re: Rename GNU fdisk to GUILE diskutils

From: Jay Sulzberger
Subject: Re: Rename GNU fdisk to GUILE diskutils
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 20:39:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017, Christian Brunello Christian Brunello
<address@hidden> wrote:

Hello everyone,

 I write because I would like to rename the GNU fdisk
package.

In the version I am preparing, the program is written in Scheme, using
Guile.  In this release there will be only the fdisk program, but in the
future I want to add more. So a more generic name would be appropriate.

I discussed this with Richard Stallman, and the volunteers on the
address@hidden list. Since the package is based on GUILE, we consider
using the name "Guile Diskutils".

We wanted to know what you think of this name.

--
Christian Brunello

I have forgotten when I first used the present program called
"fdisk".  I use it only on systems with the Linux kernel and all
*nix utilities being GNU utilities.  Recently I use it one day a
week on several systems, mainly to check that I know what drives
are plugged into which computers.  So I mainly do

  fdisk -l

I am for keeping the name "fdisk" for the new GUILE-LISP POWERED
HYPERDRIVE MANIPULATOR.  To me, fdisk feels like a basic standard
utility, like ed^WEmacs.  So the name should remain the same even
unto and beyond the day it works by teleporting the drive to
Frolix-8 and asking our friends there to do the work.  When fdisk
becomes a small, but always foundational!, part of the new GNU
collection of low level data mungers, its info page should have a
section presenting the Scheme theoretic techniques used to build
all the parts of the package.

oo--JS.