Re: Rename GNU fdisk to GUILE diskutils

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Rename GNU fdisk to GUILE diskutils
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:01:41 -0200

Hi Christian,

> >> IMHO the programming language/compiler a utility is written with is an
> >> implementation detail that should not manifest itself in the utility's
> >> name.  In this case, I think "GNU Distutils" would be better.

> >     "GNU Diskutils"

> > 1+
> > David

> I'm sorry but I do not agree. Guile is not an implementation detail in
> this case. It means that the package is based on Guile. It's like xterm
> (a terminal for x window), gnome-terminal (a terminal based on the GNOME
> framework) and so on.

It is, by definition, an implementation detail: whether your user know (or not
) in
what language the tool is implemented won't make _any_ difference on how they
will
use it, neither will it change the output of their usage ...

Besides, having Guile in the name may even be a 'blocker': 'out there' most do
still
fear scheme, in general, and Guile is no exception.  They will question,
because of
prejudgment mostly, if it 'works well', why the hell is it not implemented in
php,
python, go, java ... in a 'real language' ...

If it was a library for Guile, it would be different. As an example, I'm the
author
and maintainer of GNU Foliot, not GNU Guile-Foliot, because it is an app (even
though users could extend it, but that is anther story...) ... users (most
users)
are not interested to know i what language it's been written , they want to
know if
is good, if it does the job, if it is well maintained ...

My 2c,
Do as you wish of course,
David