Re: 2.2.0 release plan

From: Matt Wette
Subject: Re: 2.2.0 release plan
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 06:07:48 -0700

On Mar 14, 2017, at 7:59 PM, Matt Wette <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mar 14, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Matt Wette <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mar 14, 2017, at 8:50 AM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue 14 Mar 2017 16:25, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

However!  Even though the code says 2.2.0 and the tag says 2.2.0, the
release is not until Thursday.  I will not upload the tag yet.

I have just barely caught up with 2.0.x in pkgsrc, and haven't gotten to
testing 2.1.x yet.  I wonder how many platforms 2.1.x has been tested
on, and really I mean "has it been tested on other than GNU/Linux".

Things are in the early days, you are right.  GNU/Linux and macOS have
been tested.  Cygwin builds and works though it has some test errors; we
are working on it.  I don't know about mingw yet.  I think there might
be some errors on the other BSDs but I don't know yet.

Just got my desktop to extra-boot FreeBSD.  I’m taking a shot at that target (amd64).

Notes:

To configure, besides the mentioned items (e.g., libffi), must "pkg install"
* pkgconf
* gmake
* boehm-gc-threaded

Must use “gmake”, “make” breaks on meta/Makefile

The first gmake produced "not found" link errors for
  GC_unregister_my_thread
  GC_get_suspend_signal
  GC_allow_register_threads
  GC_register_my_thread

So I reconfigured using
  BDW_GC_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib -lgc-threaded ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

Now the HACK:
ran into issue w/ weak-set.c (?), so I
edited config.h and changed
  /* #undef HAVE_GC_MOVE_DISAPPEARING_LINK */
  #define HAVE_GC_MOVE_DISAPPEARING_LINK 1

I will report more later, as time permits.
Matt

“gmake” and “gmake check” completed on FreeBSD 11.0

There were some warnings in the make check regarding forking w/ multiple threads running.  I assume this is an OS issue.

The remaining task is to get configure to work correctly with the FreeBSD boehm-gc-threaded package.  Not sure how long that will take.