Re: Guile foreign object interface

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile foreign object interface
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 14:44:37 +0100

Hello!

I think Mark made two kinds of comments back then:

  1. There were suggestions about the API itself, nothing deep:
     <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2014-04/msg00070.html>.
     Andy, do you know if they’ve been addressed?

  2. A general concern about “API churn” and our ability to support the
     SMOB API in the future, which I can sympathize with:
     <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2015-11/msg00005.html>.

     Essentially, (1) it should be easy for people to migrate from SMOBs
     to foreign objects (I think it’s largely a matter of
     documentation), and (2) existing code that uses the documented SMOB
     API should just work in 2.2, possibly with a deprecation warning.

It may be that we’re already mostly there (?).  If we get these two
things right, then I have nothing against adding foreign objects in 2.2.

Mark?

Thanks,
Ludo’.