Re: The status of JIT compiler of Guile

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The status of JIT compiler of Guile
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 14:23:21 +0100

Howdy!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> And hello Atsuro!  I don't think I have had the chance of expressing to
> you how impressive your work is.  Awesome stuff!!!

+1!

> What do you all think is the way forward for this work?  Is it something
> that you see being integrated eventually into Guile git?  Is it a
> project that should be maintained separately?  If the latter, what
> interfaces do you need from Guile?

My understanding is that TJIT/Nash essentially needs a special VM engine
with additional hooks for its tracing:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2016-10/msg00001.html

If we make this engine available in Guile proper, then I think Nash
could flourish outside of Guile and yet be usable by anyone running
vanilla Guile.

I haven’t checked if the actual implementation details completely match
this idealized view, but I hope they do.  :-)

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.