Re: Interest in windows native port, interpreters for other languages an

From: Germán Diago
Subject: Re: Interest in windows native port, interpreters for other languages and C++ binding API.
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 12:18:28 +0700

Not my place to answer that, but let me just say that I didn't have
any problems using the present autotools-based build system on
Windows with MSYS.  The absolute majority of the problems I needed to
solve while working on the port had nothing to do with autotools, but
with various non-portable and Posix-centric stuff in the Guile sources
(most of them were fixed since then using the patches I proposed).

Well, provided that you are tied to msys and you can never ever compile guile with a microsoft compiler, that is ok. You are talking only about your use case. The reality is quite different: if you want windows adoption, you need to use the native toolchain to compile. I have extensive experience with cmake and autotools and quite a bit with meson already. I can say with confidence that keeping autotools and taking windows seriously at the same time is just impossible. So my view here is that to have a decent windows port we would need native windows threads and compile with microsoft compiler (that is why I would be proposing meson). You just have to see the gstreamer guys experience when switching to meson and the huge improvement it was, especially in windows.