Re: Interest in windows native port, interpreters for other languages an

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interest in windows native port, interpreters for other languages and C++ binding API.
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 17:29:57 +0200

> From: Germán Diago <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 11:28:50 +0700
>
> 2. Windows works under POSIX. What would be the effort of doing a port to
> native windows threads? Effort in
> man-hours?

I've built native Windows port of Guile 2.0.x, you can find the
binaries here:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

However, building Guile with threads (using pthreads) on Windows
produces a broken binary which cannot even compile the *.scm files as
part of the build: it crashes a lot.  I don't know what causes this,
but I reported the details a few years ago, and you should be able to
find them in the archives.  The binaries whose URL is above are
compiled without threads.

> 3. Is there any interest in switching to meson build system? I think that it
> works very well already and supports
> windows much better than autotools.

Not my place to answer that, but let me just say that I didn't have
any problems using the present autotools-based build system on
Windows with MSYS.  The absolute majority of the problems I needed to
solve while working on the port had nothing to do with autotools, but
with various non-portable and Posix-centric stuff in the Guile sources
(most of them were fixed since then using the patches I proposed).