Re: srfi-1 take and drop seriously broken

From: tomas
Subject: Re: srfi-1 take and drop seriously broken
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:52:12 +0100

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 10:18:21PM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Jan Synáček writes:
>
> > scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (srfi srfi-1)
> > scheme@(guile-user)> (take (list 1 2 3) 4)
> > ERROR: In procedure list-head:
> > ERROR: In procedure list-head: Wrong type argument in position 1
> > (expecting pair): ()
>
> That's expected.
>
> > scheme@(guile-user) [1]> (drop (list 1 2 3) 4)
> > ERROR: In procedure list-tail:
> > ERROR: In procedure list-tail: Wrong type argument in position 1
> > (expecting pair): ()
>
> That too.
>
> > Please, tell me that this is just a mistake...
>
> It's just a mistake!
>
> > This can't be true. I still can't believe it. This is from
> > 2.0.11. Please, tell me that the implementation is fixed in 2.2.
>
> You'd have to give me more clues about what it is that puzzles you
> and why.
>
> > Yours truly puzzled,
>
> Do you possibbly mean something like

> scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (srfi srfi-1))
> scheme@(guile-user)> (take '(list 1 2 3) 4)
> $1 = (list 1 2 3)
> scheme@(guile-user)> (drop '(list 1 2 3) 4)
> $2 = ()

Hm. Jan's example should work, nevertheless. And it does work for me:

  address@hidden:~$ guile
  GNU Guile 2.0.11.133-d680
  Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
  This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

  Enter `,help' for help.
  scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (srfi srfi-1))
  scheme@(guile-user)> (take (list 1 2 3 4) 4)
  $1 = (1 2 3 4)

Hmmm.

(note my Guile version, which is a tad beyond "plain" 2.0.11;
but FWIW it works for me in Guile 1.8 too)

regards
- -- tomás