Re: guile-lib - devel branch - patch 4 of 11

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: guile-lib - devel branch - patch 4 of 11
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 05:36:16 +0300

> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 17:34:02 -0300
> From: David Pirotte <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>       nice to see progress on MinGW, congrat!

Thanks.

> > > * configure.ac: Adding a copyright; bumping prereq -> 2.69
>
> > Why is that a good idea?
>
> Why not?
> 2.69 is the latest stable, available since April 2012
>
> >  Are there any features Guile needs that older versions don't support?
>
> It is not a just question of feature, but about running the same version [or
> higher]
> then the one used to check, distcheck... Why would we want to even try to
> support any
> previous version but the latest stable here?

Because people might have older versions installed, and it's a
nuisance to have to upgrade unrelated tools in your development
environment just because you need to build a newer version of Guile.
Besides, other packages might required older versions.

> Autotool chain related issue/bugs can be very tedious to track down and
> solve, and
> requiring users to install the latest stable versions, guarantee they won't
> have any
> surprise on that side, and saves us precious time, we have other things to do.

If there are known problems with older versions that get in the way, I
agree.  Are there?

If there are no known problems that interfere with maintaining Guile,
I think refraining from the above will be nicer to our users.