Guile's DATAROOTDIR and DATADIR

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Guile's DATAROOTDIR and DATADIR
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 12:01:12 +0300

"./configure --help" says:

 Fine tuning of the installation directories:
   [...]
   --datarootdir=DIR       read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
   --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data [DATAROOTDIR]

AFAIU, this means PREFIX/share/guile/2.0/ is where the *.scm files
will be installed.  That is, installing Guile 2.0.12 will overwrite
the Scheme files that were installed there by previous Guile 2.0.x
versions.

If the above is true, then the question that bothers me is whether
replacing these files might cause any trouble for programs that were
compiled against previous Guile 2.0.x versions (like GDB and Make, for
example).  If there are potential incompatibilities visible on the
Scheme level, then I think a versioned directory under
PREFIX/share/guile/2.0/ would be in order, so that several versions of
Guile could live on the same system.

The same issue arises with the cache directory, where the *.go files
are installed (I have those in LIBDIR/guile/2.0/ccache/).

Is there a potential problem here?

TIA