Re: Support open-process and friends on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Support open-process and friends on MS-Windows
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 20:36:29 +0300

> Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 06:47:37 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> As I've said before, these operations either have no meaning on
> MS-Windows, or cannot be easily mapped to the equivalent Windows
> notions.  All other applications ported from Posix platforms that I
> know of do something like the above, and I have yet to hear a single
> complaint.  Raising exceptions in these cases will simply get in the
> way of writing portable Guile programs, because the application
> programmer will have to work around the exception in Guile code, or
> declare that the program does not support MS-Windows.

For those who want to see the detailed arguments I brought up in a
past discussion, please read

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2014-02/msg00072.html

It's a long message covering a lot of turf, but the stuff relevant to
these particular issues starts around the middle of the message, with
this citation: