Re: GNU Guile 2.1.3 released

From: Matt Wette
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 2.1.3 released
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 09:18:46 -0700

On Jun 23, 2016, at 9:11 AM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu 23 Jun 2016 14:59, Daniel Llorens <address@hidden> writes:

We are pleased to announce GNU Guile release 2.1.3.

Tried on my Mac OS 10.10.5 against Macports 2.3.4 w/ gcc-mp-5.
make check generated FAIL for test-language and test-stack-overflow and stopped working after test-stack-overflow.

I can confirm the failure of test-stack-overflow on 10.9.5 too.

I am not sure how to debug this one as I don't have a Mac.  If you are
able to figure this one out, Daniel, that would be a great help.

I was able to get gdb-uninstalled-guile to run (by symlinking libguile-2.2.dynlib in $prefix/lib).  I accidentally killed the process.  But before I restart I want to understand the intended behavior.  The relevant code from test-stack-overflow is this:

;; 100 MB.

(define *limit* (* 100 1024 1024))

(call-with-values (lambda () (getrlimit 'as))

  (lambda (soft hard)

    (unless (and soft (< soft *limit*))

      (setrlimit 'as (if hard (min *limit* hard) *limit*) hard))))

(define (test)

  (catch 'stack-overflow

    (lambda ()

      (let lp ()

        (lp)

        (error "should not be reached")))

    (lambda _

      #t)))

On my mac (getrlimit ‘as) => #f #f.   So it looks like the args to setrlimit are 100 MB and #f.  Is the program supposed to die gracefully at 100 MB?   When I (accidentally) stopped the program (under gdb) the process was using 56 GB of memory.

Matt