Re: rename from q to queue

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: rename from q to queue
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:41:42 +0200

Hello,

address@hidden writes:

> The following library uses a pun writing 'q' instead of 'queue':
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Queues.html>
>
> I propose renaming the module from (ice-9 q) to (ice-9 queue) and
> spelling queue throughout in the usual scheme style of using full
> words.
>
> Attached is a patch that does this. If there is a positive consensus
> on the rename I am happy to apply the change to all the documentation
> and tests too.

As stated on IRC I think it is an improvement to have a meaningful name
for this module.

However as pointed in other replies, It is not possible to implement it
this way because (ice-9 q) is a public API.

One way to not break backward compatibility, would be to move (ice-9 q)
code in (ice-9 queue) and make (ice-9 q) use it and re-export every
variable with its old name.

Finally we will need a way to give the information that (ice-9 q) module
is deprectated to the users.  I am not sure what is the best way to
achieve this.  Maybe with:

  (eval-when (expand load eval)
    (display "..." (current-warning-port)))

What do others think?