Re: What's needed to get elisp updates into Guile master?

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: What's needed to get elisp updates into Guile master?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:07:27 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> Mathieu Lirzin writes:
>
>> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'm afraid to.  The emacs list has had strong responses moving between
>>> tremendous enthusiasm for the guile-emacs work to outright hostility.  I
>>> think there are only a couple of hostile people, but they are vocal.
>>> I'd prefer to have the next stage of things merged before I reach out
>>> again.
>>>
>>> But maybe I'm being irrational.  I could probably still ask for help.
>>
>> I was implicitly referring to a current discussion on emacs-devel:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-03/msg00180.html
>>
>> Sorry for not giving the context of my sarcasm at first.
>>
>> Anyway, thanks for giving guile-emacs some love!  :)
>
> I saw that conversation right after your email and I still didn't pick
> up on it.  Heh!
>
> Someone from #emacs might actually help though!  (I'm not going to name
> them and put them on the spot.)

Don't know if you mean me, but in any case I also have it in my mid-term
TODO to start working on guile-emacs.  Life-Status report:

Expect a few more months of "downtime" on my side.  (Recreational
purposes, though I'm available for emergency situations like if 'guix
pull' stops working. :P) After that, I'll have a time-frame of maximally
one year during which I'll be free from occupational work, in which time
I have to juggle my time between looking into how to best go on with my
occupational life (the software industry is awful and I wish to be
politically active in some way but programming is my only skill), and
working on various software projects including Guix contributions, Guile
contributions, RnRS/SRFI contributions, and Guile-Emacs.

The Guix and Guile contributions I have on my TODO aren't very big so
hopefully Guile-Emacs can get a good amount of time allocated to it.
OTOH, it will need a ton of tedious learning on my side if I have to
work on nontrivial C code, and especially the BDW-GC.  All in all don't
set your expectations too high please.  If more experienced hackers can
work on Guile-Emacs, that would be ideal.

>  - Chris

Taylan