Re: Contributions to Guile

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Contributions to Guile
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 21:28:33 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> It can be nicely themed.  FWIW, Gnulib’s gendocs.sh, which is what most
>>> projects use to export their HTML to gnu.org, now includes a CSS by
>>> default (see <https://gnu.org/s/guix/manual> as an example.)  We can
>>> change this CSS anytime, and in fact, I would love it if someone
>>> talented would come up with improvements!
>>
>> Ok, yeah
>>   https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Derivations.html#Derivations
>> does look a lot nicer!  I think it could look nicer still; eg, Racket's
>> docs using Scribble and anything using Sphinx tends to seem more nicely
>> themed:
>>
>>   https://hy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/tutorial.html
>>   https://docs.racket-lang.org/guide/define.html
>>
>> I think maybe the left-hand bar kind of helps, and some tweaks to the
>> coloring might help too.
>
> I would like to note that a while ago I prepared a *very simple* style
> sheet for GNU manuals to make it easier for me to read them online:
>
>     https://userstyles.org/styles/108215/gnu-manuals

Oh right, I had forgotten.  I like it!

In the meantime, I managed to overcome resistance on bug-gnulib to have
gendocs.sh default to a CSS at all (!).  Now, “all we need to do” is to
get the new CSS approved.

Could you look again at the feedback at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2014-12/msg00161.html>
and put up an example manual somewhere (thus not requiring Stylish)?  We
can then lobby for the new CSS again.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.