Re: Contributions to Guile

From: Chad Albers
Subject: Re: Contributions to Guile
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 14:25:34 -0500

Hi Ludo,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am most interested in remedying the
pain points that I have encountered while developing guile code.

The pain points I experienced are the following:

a. Simple reference guide.  The guile manual is more of a guide than a
reference...the best way to find information is by grepping it or
google search. I'm thinking API documentation with perhaps examples.

b. More robust documentation system - texinfo is not the greatest. And
it's non-trivial to generate any documentation (including texinfo) for
modules.

c. A real packaging system...includes specification, package
retrieval, and package hosting, package search.  Finding and including
third-party guile code is difficult at best.

d. An easier build system. I see most projects using autoconf and
make. Using build tools designed for the C language presents a higher
barrier to those that want to contribute libraries to the guile
community.

e. Refactors - I have a _long_ list in my head, but here's one: the
"ice-9" namespace is cute but confusing to the beginner I once was.

Please don't take these of criticisms of the project per se.  These
are simply the pain points I encountered when I move from other Lisps
(schemes and clojure) into guile. I'm inclined to take on the more
technical/coding tasks like c, d, e.

I'm not sure any of these tasks are a priority for the guile project.
Most of the technical task match my use case - using guile as a
full-fledged scheme interpreter rather than as an extension language.
I'm throwing them out there to determine if any of them are priorities
that would be welcome contributions.

Chad
--
Chad Albers