Re: Announcing 8sync: an asynchronous programming language for Guile

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Announcing 8sync: an asynchronous programming language for Guile
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 20:10:08 -0600

Christopher Allan Webber writes:

> ... and the complicated-number-code will launch asynchronously, but wake
> back up the appropriate function appropriately.  You can also set timed
> events, read and write to ports asynchronously, and etc.  It has a nice
> non-blocking loop, and personally I've found it to be a delight to use.

There's one potential long-term caveat to this (maybe?), which is that
the way this achieves nice asynchronous communication is by working hand
in hand with guile's (select) statement, which seems to only work for
socket type ports and file type ports I think?  Mark Weaver said he'd
think if there were other options.  I've briefly scanned the relevant C
code but I'm not really sure if there's any way we can expose a more
flexible system or not.

Anyway, socket and file ports cover quite a lot of async stuff, so
that's a great step already!

 - Chris