Re: Reading data from a file descriptor

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: Reading data from a file descriptor
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 13:55:17 +0000

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 13:52:21 +0100
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 12:59:56PM +0000, Chris Vine wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 10:53:19 +0100
>
> [...]
>
> > guile's R6RS implementation has get-bytevector-some, which will do
> > that for you, with unix-read-like behaviour.
>
> Thank you a thousand. You made me happy :-)

I suppose it is worth adding that it might not be optimally efficient
for all uses, as there is no get-bytevector-some! procedure which
modifies an existing bytevector and takes a maximum length value.  I
guess it is a matter of 'suck it and see', efficiency-wise.

If you are sending/receiving binary packets, it might be better to make
them of fixed size and use get-bytevector-n!.  (Unfortunately,
get-bytevector-n! does block until n is fulfilled according to R6RS:
"The get-bytevector-n! procedure reads from binary-input-port, blocking
as necessary, until count bytes are available from binary-input-port or
until an end of file is reached".)

Chris