Re: Mark procedures

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Mark procedures
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 11:29:39 +0100

Hello!

I think we all agree that mark procedures suck in many ways, so that’s
not the problem.

When I ported the old Guile to BDW-GC, I kept them mostly so existing
code that uses SMOB can still work as expected.  Of course, 90% of the
time you could just remove them and things would work, but if you wanted
to support both 1.8 and 2.0, you didn’t *have* to change the code.

The GnuTLS Guile bindings support both 1.8 and 2.0; mark procedures are
used unconditionally, and there haven’t been any issues with that on 2.0.

AIUI LilyPond has more stringent expectations, and that strategy didn’t
work out there because the new GC behavior is observable.

I agree with you that we must keep recommending against using them, and
that remaining uses should probably be questioned; I think we can’t
“just” remove them though.

What we need above all is to address LilyPond’s use case.  I proposed a
solution at <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19883#23> but
never understood whether/why it was considered unfit.

Ludo’.