Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:17:58 -0500

On 2015-10-20 17:45, BCG wrote:
On 10/19/2015 12:29 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
Amirouche Boubekki writes:

To the contrary I think it's not a good idea to start upfront the
tutorial with which editor should be used is a good way to loose half of the readers, because they will feel more uncomfortable and not up to the
task. To be useful emacs requires one 'Getting Started' tutorial in
itself. Or anykind of setup for that matter. The tutorial should go as
quickly as possible to the matter and start with coding.

I started a tutorial at http://hypermove.net/. I don't introduce
readline until the user knows what the REPL is. Part 1 is all done in
REPL. I subtly introduce emacs as a good choice for an editor in part 2
which is done in an editor. But doesn't enforce it.
Okay, sorry if I wasn't being clear... my goal in that section would be
to encourage everyone who *isn't already an emacs user* to pick up a
simple editor and know how to use that with Guile, but them give them a brief tip that they want to look into Emacs + Geiser once they've dived
in a bit more deeply.

I don't think this section needs to be too long. I agree it should not
be overwhelming.

Personally I would appreciate a not-so-brief tip.  Most resources on
the web about coding in scheme seem to claim that emacs is the best
environment for it, but rarely go into the reasoning about why or
provide a focused way to get started with it.  I'd be happy to try out
those tools, but it hardly is worth it to me to slog through the emacs
tutorial just to see if I like whatever advantages it may have for
coding Scheme.

I think a video tutorial to get the user started with Guile + Emacs would be great for that. First video in a "Learn GNU Guile" series hosted in a MediaGoblin instance :)

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/