A "Warning" from Ian Grant

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: A "Warning" from Ian Grant
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:39:27 -0400

FYI, Ian Grant sent me this "Warning" in private email, along with an
offer to forward it to whomever I chose.  I'm taking him up on it.

       Mark

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Warning Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 15:24:49 -0400
Mark,

This is a private warning message, entirely for your benefit. You may
cc it to the list, or anywhere else, at your discretion.

If I were you I would consider very carefully at what point you and/or
the FSF become vulnerable to charges of computer misuse, etc. or
criminal negligence. I don't know American law, so perhaps you have
nothing to fear. But if you know what I know about the way GNU
software is developed, then you  know that it is grossly irresponsible
to behave the way you are behaving. And I know that I am not the only
person who believes this. Read the summary of the 1994 "Subversion as
a Threat in Information Warfare" document to which Roger Schell gave
us a reference.

Don't rely on the no warranty, no responsibility disclaimer. A hacker
doesn't get off charges if he puts a disclaimer on his deliberately
trojaned software, and neither will you. The question is "how much dd
you know" and I have told you and Stallman and the gcc developers a
lot in the past month.

At least, the FSF should take legal advice. And you should take
personal legal advice. Read about Aaron Swartz' case.

And in future, if you want to reduce the noise on public mail lists,
then reply to me in private, not on the list, and don't speak to me as
if you are in a position of authority, because you are not. (And
please don't tell me I am a hypocrite because I said that!)

And lastly, the reason I persist with this is that I have a much
bigger project in mind, of which reliable communications and
computation is only a tiny start, Of course using this method I have
been describing we can do reliable communications over complete crap,
but it's much, much more efficient if we have decent tools, and if we
don't have to worry about the "operating system".

Ian

--- End Message ---