Re: Verifying Toolchain Semantics

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: Verifying Toolchain Semantics
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 16:45:13 +0800

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 02:23 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Ian Grant <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dear programming language types,
> >
> > I wrote this to try once again to explain what is the nature of the
> > problem that one would have in verifying the integrity of _any_
> > software toolchain, whether it is aimed ultimately at the production
> > of other software, or of hardware.
> >
> >     http://livelogic.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-foundation-part-i.html
>
> I downloaded the PDF linked in that blog entry and attempted to view it
> using Emacs's docview mode, which reported that the pdf->png process
> died with a segfault.

I encountered error when I tried to open it yesterday, several times. So
it maybe not a data transmitting problem.

> It's ironic that someone who claims to be so concerned with security
> steadfastly refuses to provide his most important essays in a simple,
> transparent format.  Instead, he insists to distribute them in an opaque
> format that can only be interpreted by a small handful of very complex
> programs with a large attack surface.

Maybe the author want a better layout of an article. It's better to
provide multi formats include TXT. Some guys just want to get to known
the idea quickly, like me.
But I guess there're several maths formulas in the article, so maybe TXT
is not enough for it.

--
People who are really serious about software should make their own
hardware. -- Alan Kay

nalaginrut.com