Re: Bug free programs

From: Ian Grant
Subject: Re: Bug free programs
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:57:47 -0400

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] I led the development of the scannable PGP source code books that
> allowed PGP to be legally exported from the US fo the first time, along
> with the tools needed to convert the paper books back into electronic
> form with modest effort.

This is the most interesting thing anyone's said in the discussion so
far. Now you can teach me something.

If I had  modified GNU source and I'd compiled it to object code, and
put it in that "non-electronic media" you developed, and sold it,
without making the modified source available to people, would that be
selling Copyleft software? I think so.

Now tell me how it is _you_ know that what you did doesn't earn you
and Richard Stallman a fetching orange jump-suit each, and an
all-expenses-paid vacation at a Government holiday camp in the South
East Florida Keys, with power-showers every two hours and where you
get to listen to the same Eminem song (there is only one) 24 hours a
day?

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/official_itar/ITAR_Part_121.pdf

Category VIII - Auxiliary Military Equipment

(b) Military Information Security Assurance Systems and equipment, cryptographic
devices, software, and components specifically designed, developed,
modified, adapted, or configured for military applications (including
command, control and intelligence applications.

Ian