Re: open-process and related functions for MinGW Guile

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: open-process and related functions for MinGW Guile
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 22:52:58 +0300

> From: Mark H Weaver <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 14:08:48 -0400
>
> > +# define getuid()              (500) /* Local Administrator */
> > +# define getgid()              (513) /* None */
> > +# define setuid(u)             (0)
> > +# define setgid(g)             (0)
>
> As I've said before, I'm not okay with making 'setuid', 'seteuid',
> 'setgid', or 'setegid' into no-ops.  They should at least raise an error
> when called on Windows, and maybe they should be undefined.

I explained at length why failing in these functions or having them
undefined (i.e. signaling a fatal error in any code that uses them)
would be a mistake.  Please see

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2014-02/msg00072.html

All the cases I know of where such operations were not made no-ops on
Windows are terrible annoyances: they produce useless warning and
error messages that no one can possibly do anything about.  It would
be a pity to have such annoyances in Guile.

Maybe you could describe a practical situation where you consider
having these undefined or failing would be TRT?  I cannot think of
any.