Re: MinGW vs. c-api.test

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MinGW vs. c-api.test
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 19:19:05 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 18:04:57 +0200

> > But my Git Bash shell on Windows (at work) gives me paths like /<drive
> > letter>/...
> > For example:
> >
> >   address@hidden /c/work/icp (master)
> >   $ pwd
> >   /c/work/icp

Git Bash is an MSYS program.  MSYS is a fork of an old version of
Cygwin, and the pseudo-Posix file names it returns is one of its
features, designed to make Posix shell scripts work without choking on
Windows file names with drive letters.

So this has nothing to do with native Windows programs produced by
MinGW, which is what we are discussing here: how to redirect to a null
device in a native MinGW compiled Guile whose 'system' procedure
invokes the Windows shell cmd.exe.

> Isn’t it rather provided by Cygwin?

Yes, Cygwin and MSYS.

> I would think that (getcwd) on Cygwin would return /c/... whereas
> (getcwd) on MinGW would return C:\..., no?

The MinGW version should produce either C:\... or C:/..., yes.