Re: 2.0.11 on OS X 10.9 / Xcode 5.1

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: 2.0.11 on OS X 10.9 / Xcode 5.1
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:10:34 -0400

address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer") writes:

>> On OS X 10.9 with Xcode 5.1, make fails unless -O0 is used; the output
>> of ./configure && make during the failure is here:
>>
>> http://sprunge.us/PLGI
>>
>> After a successful build with -O0, there are two failures during make
>> check:
>>
>> FAIL: srfi-18.test: thread-terminate!: termination destroys non-started
>> thread
>>
>> FAIL: srfi-18.test: thread-terminate!: termination destroys started
>> thread
>
> By the way, after installing GCC 4.8 from MacPorts and setting the CC
> environment variable to use it (executable "gcc-mp-4.8"), the above
> issues are resolved, but I get the following test failure now:

So it seems that either there's a bug in clang, or a bug in guile that
causes problems when compiled with clang (which has different aggressive
optimizations than gcc).  Based on anecdotes from many other packages,
it seems more likely than not that it's a guile bug.

It would be interesting to bisect compilation of guile with 2 compilers,
or to compile with clang with optimization turned way down.