Re: RTL has landed!

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: RTL has landed!
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 22:45:33 +0100

An update:

On Sat 09 Nov 2013 14:39, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> There are a couple of regressions that I would like to fix soonish:
>
>   * The compiler is somewhat slow.

As a data point, compiling (ice-9 boot-9) is about twice as slow in
master than stable-2.0.

Ultimately I think we probably need to be using small integers to
identify variables and continuations, instead of symbols.  Once we fix
that I think we can be faster than stable-2.0.  Dunno how far to go in
this direction; we could end up with a much more graph-based IR...

Ideally I'd like to bootstrap faster too, but that's tricky; every
optimization is an additional chunk of code that needs to bootstrap.
Maybe just focusing on things that help eval.scm would be good there:
closure optimization and computed-goto switches.

>   * We don't have local variable information.

TODO.  There are also some addressing restrictions -- some VM ops can't
address the full range of local slots, and need some shuffling to be
done, and that's not done yet.  This is the biggest blocker, though to
be fair I haven't hit it in practice yet.

>   * The manual is out of date, as regards the compiler and VM.

It's up to date :)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/