Re: There is no returning

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: There is no returning
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:43:58 -0500

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/13/13 23:52, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> FYI, I recently made precisely that change to the stable-2.0 branch,
>> which will become Guile 2.0.10:
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commitdiff;h=36c40440078c005cd5e239cca487d29f6f60007d;hp=b1fe20c24ccb380420ea1ffdc7f249224072dcdc
>
> Thank you, Mark!  Would you be willing to also do it for 1.8.x?

I'm sorry, but 1.8.x is long dead.  The last release was nearly 3 years
ago, and almost no work has been done on it since then.  In the
meantime, probably on the order of hundreds of bug fixes have been
applied to 2.0 and never backported to 1.8.  At this point, it would be
a major effort to produce a new 1.8.x release that we wouldn't be
ashamed of.  No one has volunteered to do that work.  There are many far
more important things to work on, and not enough people to do it all.

Guile 2.0 was released over 2.5 years ago, and is now in all the major
distros, including Debian stable, the last few Ubuntu and Fedora
releases, etc.  Please, let's move on.

> Many "stable" distros will take _years_ to advance to 2.x,

I guess you mean the enterprise distros like RHEL, CentOS, etc.  Do you
think many users of those distros will want to use the latest autogen
release?

> MY technique is to blindly replace anything after "SCM_NORETURN"
> with "_Noreturn" on any line #define-ing SCM_NORETURN.

Looking at C11, it appears that _Noreturn belongs before the function
return type, whereas __attribute__ (__noreturn__) and SCM_NORETURN goes
after the formal parameter list.  So I don't see how your proposed
workaround can work properly.  Am I missing something?

     Regards,
       Mark