Re: examples addon and new hacker for guile

From: Johan Ceuppens
Subject: Re: examples addon and new hacker for guile
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 22:42:32 +0900 (JST)

Hello,

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013, Mark H Weaver wrote:

Hi Johan,

Johan Ceuppens <address@hidden> writes:

I wonder if you would want an example in the repo with the following
actor syntax :

;; start code
(define (make-table)
  (let ((dict (make-dictionary)))
    (define (add! key color)
      (dictionary-add! dict key color))
    (define (set! key color)
      (dictionary-set! dict key color))
    (lambda (msg)
      (cond ((eq? msg 'add!) add!)
            ((eq? msg 'set!) set!)
            (else (dict msg))))
    )) ;; end code

Where are 'make-dictionary', 'dictionary-add!', and 'dictionary-set!'
defined?  Anyway, we already have a similar example in the manual:

 http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/OO-Closure.html

May I add then that you can use a lambda args without apply, as in my above code and that you can define the lambda such as :
(define (make-table)
        (define (dispatch msg)
                (cond ...)
        ) ;; closes dispatch
        dispatch) ;; applies with '(' and ')' --->

(define x (make-table))
((x 'msg) #\h)

Then I am going to try to contribute in the near future, I guess I need to
read up on things.

Glad to hear it!  We can certainly use more help :)

How do I get co-author status on the project's working repository ?

We generally start out by asking new contributors to post their proposed
patches to guile-devel or bug-guile for review, preferably in the format
produced by git-format-patch.  We push them when they're ready, with the
new contributor listed as author of course.  We grant commit access to
regular contributors after we've gained some confidence in their
abilities and their knowledge of Guile.

Is there some more thorough battle plan or pro developer info except for
the 'cool ideas' page on gnu.org/software/guile ?

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, either here
or on IRC: #guile on irc.freenode.net.

I am already on it, I am bubble on irc.

Thanks for your interest, and welcome to our community!

Thanks a lot,
I'll try to submit some C patches.

Best regards,
Johan