Re: a rehash of the question of optimizing some prompt ideoms

From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Subject: Re: a rehash of the question of optimizing some prompt ideoms
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:34:35 +0200

Hi,

To note in e.g. logic programming one can inline a lot of code and
the final result of peval is that it will and should not expand the lambdas at site
due to code explosion. What happens now, as I understand, is that closures
are created at a resulting quite hefty overhead. In stead if one employed
local functions inside the stack and issued a goto to these functions and a
corresponding return to the call site with return value in appropriate slot we
would be much better off because we would simply not need to create closures
on the heap and have very low overhead in the argument handling and function
dispatch. To make this work we would only need to have named gotos, the rest
should be handled by the scheme in scheme compiler.

So there are good arguments to have
1. Named goto operations in the VM
2. A notion of local execution unit that are of two kinds
   i)  Stateless aka functions, can reuse register space
   ii) Statefull  aka need to allocate a fixed register space to the local funciton

WDYT?