Re: Debian package build problems with 2.0.9 (from git)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Debian package build problems with 2.0.9 (from git)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 22:47:13 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> skribis:

> The first might be a problem caused by my packaging, but in case not,
> the build from git fails because doc/ref/effective-version.texi doesn't
> exist when it tries to build guile.info.

guile.info normally doesn’t need to be built when using the tarball.
However, this wasn’t the case until a9ea4f909b9970c755b0a7c4cd9da907e66496fc.

> The second problem is that the net-db.test is failing:
>
>   Running net-db.test
>   unexpected error code: -11 "System error"
>   FAIL: net-db.test: getaddrinfo: no name
>
> But it looks like at least on my current (Debian unstable) system,
> that may be the normal behavior.  This program:
>
>   #include <errno.h>
>   #include <netdb.h>
>   #include <stdio.h>
>   #include <string.h>
>
>   int
>   main(int argc, char **argv)
>   {
>     struct addrinfo c_hints, *c_result;
>
>     memset(&c_hints, 0, sizeof (c_hints));
>     const int err = getaddrinfo ("does-not-exist",
>                                  NULL,
>                                  &c_hints,
>                                  &c_result);
>     if (err == 0)
>       freeaddrinfo (c_result);
>
>     printf("err: %d\n", err);
>     printf("errno: %d\n", errno);
>
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> Produces this output:
>
>   $ ./foo
>   err: -11
>   errno: 2

(Where 2 is ENOENT.)

Quoting http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13958#8 :

  [T]here are only two occurrences of EAI_SYSTEM in inet/getaddrinfo.c
  in glibc: one is for NETDB_INTERNAL, and the other is for
  IDNA_DLOPEN_ERROR.

Most likely, that means that one of the NSS modules specified in
/etc/nsswitch.conf could not be loaded.

Could you strace the C program above and check what happens?

TIA,
Ludo’.