Re: The Road to 2.2

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: The Road to 2.2
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:33:00 +0200

Hi,

On Mon 20 May 2013 00:06, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> Once the RTL branch is all merged in, we can start doing the same with
>> Noah's wip-rtl-cps branch.
>
> I’m unclear on what the safest or easiest approach is.  My natural
> tendency would have led me to start by “just” rewriting the
> GLIL->assembly pass, and only then go with the fancy CPS compiler.
> But I gather that the CPS compiler may facilitate the conversion to
> assembly.
>
> What’s your take on this?

Dunno.  So GLIL is a pretty useless layer that won't have much purpose
in any RTL compiler I think.  The RTL assembler and linker provide some
of the facilities of GLIL like handling constants and meta-data, so I
think it's reasonable to go directly from tree-il or CPS to RTL.

One thing that would be possible would be a conversion to ANF -- still
tree-il, but with names for all temporary values -- then you run the
existing "analyze" pass that allocates local slots, and you hack the
tree-il->glil compiler to become a tree-il->rtl compiler.  That's
probably the lowest-risk thing to do.  But it is also a shame in some
ways, and still has some unknowns.  I'll start working with Noah's
code soon and give a better impression then.

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/