Re: The Road to 2.2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The Road to 2.2
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 00:06:25 +0200

Hello!

This is all very exciting!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> However, I think we've done all we can in branches.  I think we should
> bless this RTL experiment as the way to do Guile 2.2.  (Thoughts or
> objections welcome.)  To that end, I think we need to start merging
> wip-rtl into master.
>
> What I propose is that, if we agree, I start merging in trivial stuff.
> When I get to something interesting that's not just a refactoring of
> existing things, I'll submit that patch to the list.  We have a few days
> to look at it, we go through some review, and then we figure out how to
> move forward -- usually merging some version of that patch.  Then we
> repeat.

Sounds like a good plan.

> Once the RTL branch is all merged in, we can start doing the same with
> Noah's wip-rtl-cps branch.

I’m unclear on what the safest or easiest approach is.  My natural
tendency would have led me to start by “just” rewriting the
GLIL->assembly pass, and only then go with the fancy CPS compiler.
But I gather that the CPS compiler may facilitate the conversion to
assembly.

What’s your take on this?

> Then eventually some glorious day comes and we start using the CPS/RTL
> toolchain, everything is working great and fast, and we start deleting
> the old code.

Looking forward to that day.  :-)

Ludo’.