wip-linker: Refactor ELF linker and loader

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: wip-linker: Refactor ELF linker and loader
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 17:05:34 +0200

Hi,

This patch series is the first from wip-rtl that I'm going to try to
merge to master.  You can look at it in gitk or whatever if you prefer;
I've pushed it as wip-linker.  Note that compared to wip-rtl, this is
a more cleaned-up patchset.

The summary is that I split the linker out of the ELF module, then
adapt the linker to create files that can be mapped directly into
memory.  Then we change the loader to expect this kind of file, and
provide a way to look up the ELF image associated with a given
procedure.  This will later allow us to get debugging information for a
procedure.

Note that all of this code applies to the existing .go files, since in
master, .go files are actually ELF.  I've also added a small test for
sanity's sake.

That said though, this is all just refactoring -- the RTL patches (to
come later) are what really benefit by having a good linker and loader.

This is the first time I've tried git-send-email, so perhaps something
goes wrong.  In any case, the intention is to allow folks to comment
easily on the code; we'll see how that goes.

Comments welcome!  I'd especially like to hear impressions from Ludo and
Mark.

Cheers,

Andy