Re: The Road to 2.2

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: The Road to 2.2
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 12:37:10 +0200

Hi,

On Sat 18 May 2013 07:00, Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> writes:

> I saw that our current ELF just wraps the .go code, not the native code.

This is imprecise.  Think of ".go" and "ELF" as containers for code and
data.  It doesn't make sense to wrap a container in a container :)

Currently in stable-2.0, the code is Guile 2.0 stack machine code, and
the container is .go.  In master, the code is stack machine code, and
the container is ELF.  In wip-rtl, the code is RTL code, and the
container is ELF, and constants and such have their own sections in the
ELF.  There are some 12 or 14 sections per file.

> Maybe it's possible to try a naive AOT compiler now.

I think now is probably not the time.  I do think we will do native
compilation soon but probably not for 2.2.  I don't think we will be
able to change the VM, assembler, linker, loader, disassembler, and
compiler, *and* add support for native compilation (for some
architectures) in the 2.2 series.

Regards,

Andy
--