Re: wip-rtl disassembler

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: wip-rtl disassembler
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 00:16:40 -0400

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
At this point the disassembler is working much better, and works at the
REPL now via ,x.  Also, procedure-name now works.

I'm now moving to implement source line information and other metadata
via .debug_info / .debug_line / etc sections.

Wow, that's great!

I think debugging things will be ready in a few weeks.  Noah, how's the
compiler coming?  I think we could reasonably be looking at compiling
everything with RTL by July or August if all goes well.

Not as quickly as I'd like, but that's always going to be true. :-)

The status is still what it was in my last email - almost all language features are done, but I would like to check edge cases much more thoroughly than I have. What I have been working on most recently is a patch to the test suite to add a command-line option to choose a different compiler. I realized that my strategy of writing a separate test suite for CPS will never get close to our 35,000+ Guile tests, and also can't be reused the next time we want to test a new compiler. So my goal is to let the test suite use the CPS compiler, and then just systematically fix any bugs I find until things pass.

If anyone else wants to work on this, they are more than welcome to jump in.

Noah