Re: Guile and Swig

From: Daniel Hartwig
Subject: Re: Guile and Swig
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:06:38 +0800

On 17 April 2013 13:28, Dmitry Bogatov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello, list!

Hello now

> Is using SWIG[1] is endorsed for writing Guile wrappers to C library? I
> make such bindings for libircclient[2] for my project, but it would be
> nice, if it would find way to official Guile tree.  Are here some
> guidelines about it?

The guile support in swig is under maintained at best.  It may not
even work correctly for guile-2.0.

> Also, question of style of Lisp code. It seems, that most common style
> is `(action object arg1 ...)` and I find making object callable is more
> elegant: `(object #:action arg1 ...)`. Is it discouraged?

On some level both styles are functionally equivalent, although
conceptually they are quite different.  It is more or less a matter of
taste.  However, certain tasks are easier in one style or the other.

Why do you find the second style more elegant?