Re: vectors are something else

From: Daniel Llorens
Subject: Re: vectors are something else
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 01:12:51 +0200

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 22:06:38 +0800
From: Daniel Hartwig <address@hidden>

> Great.  This strikes a nice balance, with simple enough semantics
> and flexability to massage array data for vector-coded modules.
> I doubt _anyone_ will miss using non-0-indexed arrays that way.

I personally think that offset indexing is a 100% useless feature and I'd
happily drop it altogether from the array interface. But since it's there, it
should work.

> This also matches the note in the manual about vectors being the
> special case of rank-1 arrays.  It is implied that these are
> 0-indexed, rank-1 arrays.

Yes, the manual does say the same thing about uniform vectors.

>> http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/ArraysCowan
>
> Neat.

To be honest, I don't like this interface too much. It seems based on early
APL... of course Guile's is much smaller and is missing many things. We could
pick up the obvious things, such as array-copy, array-reverse, array-reshape.

I'm sending the patches on a separate message.

Regards,

        Daniel