Re: Whats' the proper senario of par-map? (Was Re: bug#13188: par-map ca

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Whats' the proper senario of par-map? (Was Re: bug#13188: par-map causes VM stack overflow)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:52:51 +0100

Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> skribis:

> And there're two possible applications:
> 1. handle the requests in a server
> 2. read files from disk (but how big file is proper for par-map)

Quoting the fine manual:

  Note that futures are intended for the evaluation of purely
  functional expressions.  Expressions that have side-effects or rely on
  I/O may require additional care, such as explicit synchronization (*note
  Mutexes and Condition Variables::).

IOW, think twice before you use it for something not purely computational.
:-)

Ludo’.