Re: makeinfo swallows page breaks

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: makeinfo swallows page breaks
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:31:08 +0100

Mike Gran <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Attached is a patch to use Guile’s Texinfo support [0] to build said
>> file.  Guile’s Texinfo parser is incomplete but sufficient to handle
>> those docstrings.
>
>> OK to commit?
>
> If Guile depends on Guile for multiple stages the build, it becomes
> difficult to recover from a problem when the build is failing.

Well, that’s nothing compared to its bootstrapping procedure.  :-)

> So maybe this commit will lead to better, more methodical hacking; maybe
> it will make fixing a broken Guile more annoying.

It will force us to maintain the Texinfo modules at a reasonable level,
which I think it’s good.  Hopefully, if something breaks, it will break
deterministically.

Conversely, here people with Texinfo 5.x get no docstrings (and thus
failing tests), people with an older Texinfo don’t have any problems,
and people without Texinfo have no problem but their docstrings include
unprocessed markup.

Overall, I really think it’s an improvement.

Ludo’.