Re: CPS Update

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: CPS Update
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:57:44 -0500

Hello,

Another quick update on CPS. I just pushed patches that implement closure conversion and use it to compile closures correctly. I think this is a big step forward for the CPS compiler. Since the last email, I've also implemented local mutable variables, and sequences (as part of that).

Somewhat shockingly, I think that's almost every language feature. The other things (dynamic environment, prompts) can actually be done by making closures and calling the functions that implement them - it's just faster to use the RTL instructions. However, I think the primitive procedure generation is robust enough to handle those without too much trouble.

The bigger task now is a combination of finding and eliminating bugs and slowly removing the ugly hacks I put in there. I don't think there are too many, but the way the closure conversion handles letrecs and the big case statement in the  primitive instruction generator are notable examples. There are also some arbitrary limitations in the code - things like only allowing one argument to a procedure, or one procedure in a letrec. I put those in because I knew I could remove them without fundamentally changing things, and I wanted to sketch out the whole compiler first to get the organization right. Now I need to go through and fix all of that.

But overall, I think the CPS compiler is going well.

Best,
Noah