Re: propose deprecation of generalized-vector-*

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: propose deprecation of generalized-vector-*
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 21:27:53 -0500

Hello again,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:01 AM, Daniel Llorens <address@hidden> wrote:
> think this comes down to a more fundamental difference - I still don't think that functions should automatically map over arrays, and you do. If they did automatically map, then I would agree with you about array-ref, because then arrays wouldn't be fundamentally different types from the objects they contained.

I actually agree here! I don't want regular scheme functions to have things done to them around their back, it would be another language. I can accept why you want array-ref to be strict. Indeed my approach tends to a confusion between a 2-array of 2-arrays and a 4-array. In guile-ploy you can see this in collapse-array ---if the verb doesn't provide an output shape, I make an assumption. I also banish 0-rank arrays.

It seems that I misunderstood you then, and I apologize. I am very excited about the library you are proposing, and I would be happy to help in any way I can (as long as I have time...)!

(I'm snipping the rest of your message because it needs more thought than I can give it right now.)

Best regards,

        Daniel

Best,
Noah